Monday 1st – Tuesday 2nd June
10am – 4pm
Forrest Hills, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YW
UK Underwater is a two-day workshop funded through the Data Science Institute at Lancaster University.
Communication about flooding and climate change in the UK is becoming an increasing challenge for journalists and scientists in terms of expressing the science and solutions surrounding increasingly widespread and dangerous flood events.
UK Underwater is a two-day workshop funded through the Data Science Institute at Lancaster University for international and local data scientists, science communicators, and journalism educators related to flooding analysis and reporting.
- Share and engage with innovative research, journalism, and storytelling
- Develop a research-based journalism and storytelling consortium
- Build opportunities for data-driven visualisations and virtual reality journalism
- Identify and apply for funded research and journalism projects
- Help form a student-led community communication events related to flooding
- Dr Rebecca Killick, Senior Lecturer in Statistics, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Lancaster University
- Dr Nick Chappell, Reader, Lancaster Environment Centre, Lancaster University
- Professor Maggie Mort, Department of Sociology, Lancaster University
- Dr Monica Rivas Casado, Senior Lecturer in Integrated Environmental Monitoring, School of Water, Energy and Environment, Cranfield University
- Rob Lamb, JAB Trust and Lancaster Environment Centre, Lancaster University
- Paul Solman, Lecturer, Brunel University
- Dr Chris Skinner, Research Fellow, Energy and Environment Institute, University of Hull
- David Caswell, Executive Product Manager of BBC News Labs
- And a Keynote on Science Communication from Dr. Juliet Pinto, Associate Professor, Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications, Pennsylvania State University
For further information about this event, contact:
Dr Robert (Ted) Gutsche Jr, Senior Lecturer, Sociology Department, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org (event coordinator)
Venue information https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/conferences/spaces-facilities/venues/forrest-hills
Lunch will be provided both days – please let the event coordinators know of any dietary or access issues.
View the event and register for free here.